Professor Hickling has had many years of research and teaching experience during his service as Head of the Department and Professor of Psychiatry in the Section of Psychiatry at the University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica.
Didactic Training Programmes
Training programmes are offered to students, residents and professionals in the medical, psychiatric and psychological fields and include:
- Neuroanatomy and Neurobiology of Behaviour and Emotions
- Psychiatric Resident Training – didactic lectures in...
- Psychiatric Interviewing and Evaluation
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Group Psychotherapy
- Cultural Therapy
- Dream-A-World Intervention for at-risk groups
- Research Supervision Through his extensive research experience, Professor Hickling has a wealth of knowledge to offer top class supervision for the conceptualization, execution and composition of research to students in the fields of psychiatry and psychology. Research supervision is offered to students locally, regionally and internationally. See section on "Research" to view Professor Hickling’s research interests.
In association with Dr. Brigette Matthies (Assistant Professor of Psychology, California State University), Professor Hickling has also assisted in the creation of training Masters’ and PhD level programmes offered through the University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica:
- MSc. Clinical Psychology, established in 2001
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, established in 2002
- MSc. Cultural Therapy, established in 2008 (collaboration on this project also included Dr. Roger Gibson, Psychiatrist, Lecturer in the Department of Community Health & Psychiatry in the Faculty of Medical Sciences at the University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica)